Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson...The Man on my Mirror


Breaking News: Michael Jackson is dead. 

I was in fifth grade when first I heard Beat It. I had a crush on the King of Pop for the next 3 years. I even wrote a letter adorned with butterfly stickers and addressed it to Michael Jackson somewhere in Encino California.  

Being from a staunchly conservative Christian home, I was not allowed to listen to the music of Satan. And for good reason. But what are friends for? Every video, poster, book and song that even referenced MJ, I devoured with stalker like obsession. Small photos of him were taped in secret places and on locker room mirrors. I loved the yellow vest.  

I tried to Moonwalk. I had a crush on any boy in my class that could. 

I wore parachute pants.  

I'd hover over my radio turned low just waiting to hear PYT.  

I was jealous of anyone named Billy Jean or Diana.  

Thriller was my magnificat. 

I could name all the Jacksons in birth order.  

But then I grew up. And got grossed out. But you have to appreciate the genius behind the music. Michael Jackson is an icon, a focal point, a common denominator for many generations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd love to thank you for such a great quality site!
Was thinking this is a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Sage Brand
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/princess-party-supplies.html]princess Party Supplies[/url].