Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Melinda Doolittle and The Necklace

I don't have loads of time to read as voraciously as I would like, but I enjoy reading short stories. When I re-read The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant, he used this intriguing line I hadn't caught before: "for women have no caste or class, their beauty, grace, and charm serving for them birth or family. Their natural delicacy, their instinctive elegance, nimbleness of wit, are their only mark or rank..."

Is that true today that women have no caste or class and it's the beauty and charm that categorizes and places us according to such?

I usually watch American Idol. This season has been pretty ho-hum so I haven't been as loyal as when say, Bo Bice was singing. I did listen to LaKeesha and Melinda belt out song after song with talents unrivaled.

Did these two women ever have a chance at winning such a contest when they're competing against a 17 year old beauty? If we're actually judging by lyrical talent, shouldn't the better singers be higher up in the caste system and therefore still be in the contest?

I'm just pondering...and, quite frankly, I can't sing at all. Not at all. (I have to lip sync in church). So maybe Jordin is just as good and I can't tell. Pffft. Who knows. Ain't none of them Bo Bice.



And yes, I know. I should read more and watch less reality TV. Got it.

No comments: