Friday, September 21, 2007

Allergic to ?

Word of the Day
matutinal \muh-TOOT-n-uhl\, adjective:

Relating to or occurring in the morning; early.

I love the sound of this word. if you're gong to be awake before 8 a.m., you should be forced to use this word. If someone said, "I'm a matutinal person," that would give me enough time to walk away.

I have physical evidence to support my hypothesis that I am NOT capable of being a morning person. Not capable. Must work at night. I can't think or speak in the morning before 8:30 a.m. I'm worthless.

How have I made this discovery? It relates to the allergic reactions I started having awhile back. I haven't had an anaphylactic reaction since May. I adjusted some prescription meds, had no problems, so I assumed the medicine was to blame for the skin clawing, morbid swelling, nearly suffocating reaction to who knows what.

So three months go by and suddenly, I have another allergic reaction. Only this time it was the mother of all reactions. I swelled up, broke out in a weird rash, my lips were numb, I itched everywhere I had skin and I started sweating like a fat man in a construction zone. And then of course the usual, wheezing, severe abdominal cramps, what not. I looked like I dipped my head in a vat of battery acid.

When I used the epi pen, it worked for about 30 seconds before I really started getting bad. So Kevin took me to the hospital, where I was a walking freak show for the folks in the ER.

Once I'm calmed down (otherwise known as being drugged into a delicious stupor)the doctors parade out the usual questions,trying to figure out why this happens.

Nothing I ate, nothing I'm wearing, no recreational drugs, nothing out of the ordinary EXCEPT I got up early that morning to fix pancakes for breakfast. I was up before 7 a.m. on a Sunday morning. I had not only fixed breakfast but done some laundry and was all ready for church.

The matutinal behavior was the only unaccounted for variable that day. My skillful deduction tells me that I am allergic to early mornings.

I never get up early unless there's a darn good reason for it. And it nearly cost me my life. So, based on all logical comparisons, I think I can get a doctors excuse to sleep late each and every morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's true you are not a morning person because you were not born in the morning, you were born at 6pm. That is why you are more creative in the afternoons and evenings!!!!! LOL...mom